Wednesday, June 11, 2008

By the way...

... don't let the fact that I like fashion and other "cooler" stuff trick you. (side note: I really, really, really wanted to write "ruse you" there. I'm completely well aware that ruse is not a verb and thus cannot be used as such, but I love the movie Clerks so much and, as a result, try to use the word 'ruse' (n. a "cunning attempt to trick [someone]") as often as possible, even in blatantly improper verb form). I'm still a complete nerd. I've been (half) joking about wanting to play Magic the Gathering and/0r Dungeons & Dragons for years. When my friend Summer found out one the faculty members she supervises is super into role-playing games here in Denmark, the following emails were sent without my (or my friend Rachel's, who is just as into it as I am) consent, but to my great amusement:

From: "Summer Hxxxxxxxx"
Date: June 10, 2008 1:16:06 PM CEST
To: "moeborg"
Subject: Dungeons and Dragons Role-playing

Hi Bettina!

I hope you are having a nice vacation. I’ve heard that you are quite into role-playing games and the like. Well, I know for a fact that there are two other interns here at DXX who are very interested in starting up with it, and would like to learn more. Do you know if it’s possible for them to go to an event and watch? I don’t really know how it all works, but I thought I’d ask you about it since they seem so interested. If you have some free time and would like to email them directly, their names are Rachel Xxxxx (rx@xxx.dk) and Sarah Jxxxxxxxx (sxx@xxx.dk ).

Best,
Summer Hxxxxxxxx
European Culture and History Program Assistant

---------------------------------------------------*

Hej Rachel and Sarah

Good to hear you are interested in the roleplaying stuff and all, perhaps we should all meet up for a coffee and a chat sometime during the week, between 11 am and 4 pm would be best as our young rascal will be in kindergarten and we can chat without having an ice cream cone rammed up one's nose :) Thorin our boy is a frisky little bugger : >

any comments from Bettina he said turning to her. She adds:

Hej Rachel and Sarah, yes this strange person is my husband, who is our GM. We are not currently role playing, but he has been talking about starting a campaign up in the near future. We generally use a fantasy system similar to D&D called rune quest. So if you want, we can all meet and have a chat about what you are interested in, and see if we can figure something out?

venlig hilsen
Paul and Bettina

Moeborg@xxxxxxx.dk

---------------------------------------------------*

Yeah, seriously. Can we start with the fact that their son's name is Thorin? Vikingsxcore.

By the way when I was walking around town the other day I noticed the line was out the door at the local game store. Probably because of the new D&D dice. No, I didn't go in. ...yet.

Geekery, I tell you! I'm afflicted!!

No comments: