Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's Wish List

I'm in the Valentine's spirit because I decorated at work the other day. Valentine's Day is not big in Denmark, but it is growing in popularity and my boss thought it would be nice if I decorated for it for the sake of our American students. Not one to shirk away from a creative opportunity (and being a romantic to an embarrassing extent sometimes), I hung hearts of three different sizes (s, m, l) and colours (red<3 , pink<3, cream<3) at varying heights over the front desk where the receptionist sits so that it looks like a cloud of hearts. Then I stuck the same variety of hearts at different angles along the front side of the desk. It sounds lame when I describe it, but it's really cute. Very Martha Stewart Living-esque if I do say so myself. Even Valentine's-hating students have popped in to say how much they like it and how nice it looks. Check it out:


In honor of the Valentine's spirit, a sampling of my current mental wish list (also because I'm a bit bored at work now that my creative work is done):

1. Agent Provocateur's red 'Gangster' bra - €140

This bra is beautiful. *swoon* Of course a red, satin balconette bra is impractical under most clothes (though, let's be real, we all know this is not a bra meant to be hidden under a tatty Saturday t-shirt!), but I love the pleated detailing on top and the rich wine colour. Perhaps I'll pop over to the AP store here in Copenhagen later this week to check it out, though the price is a bit depressing.


2. Red Hunter Wellington Boots - £55

These are super cute and really practical, especially when you live in a rainy place like Denmark. Though they offer them in a rainbow of colours, I especially like the red because they will go with everything I usually wear plus things I don't usually wear but would like to wear in the future. I can just as easily picture myself wearing them with my jeans tucked in as I can picture wearing them with my white A&F mini, splashing around during Spring showers in April.


3. Tibor Kalman's Sky Umbrella - $48

Such a fun way to beat the grey on an omnipresent rainy day! Plus, it'll go great with my red Hunter wellies. From New York's Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art Store.

4. Valentine's Cupcakes

Because I love cupcakes. They are so cute and just the perfect amount of delicious cake. In the States I make delicious S'mores Cupcakes that I created myself. They have graham cracker cake with a chocolate-marshmallow fluff icing topped with a square of Hershey's chocolate and a dusting of graham cracker crumbles. Delicious. Because it's not available in Europe, my parents recently sent me a family sized vat of Jif Creamy Peanut Butter. I'm planning on making peanut butter and jelly cupcakes when I get a chance (perhaps with the jelly inside the cupcake, jelly donut style). The shocking thing is that they don't really know what cupcakes are here in Denmark. Denmark is home to some of the best bakeries which make some of the best pastries in the world and they don't know what a cupcake is?! Nutty.

No comments: