Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shit, it's that easy.

I was going to send this to Twitter:

Don't preach in my Metro station, I won't sin in your church.

Because someone was walking around Metro Center station yelling about saving all our rush hour souls and whatnot. I was trying to think about something that "a religious" [person] would think as equally offensive (and, dare I say ridiculous?!) as an agnostic like me was thinking of his transit tirade. 'Sin, how obvious,' I thought. But then I realised that, no, his behaviour was [presumably] entirely conscious and unavoidable, whereas the tiniest, little white sin is often not - at least for me. I mean, given that I was of sound mind, I could go to a church and obviously avoid the "biggies" like committing adultery or killing a priest. But what about those little, white sin-thoughts, like, "oh, I can't believe she decided to wear those fug-tastic shoes to church?! God can't possibly be THAT forgiving!" As snarky as it is, those kinds of little thoughts flit through my head as lightning speed. I can't like, consciously not have them. That's like trying to tell a skeptic not to imaging the pink elephant in the room. I would rarely say them out loud (okay, I'm modifying that statement to end with "in church"). But, as far as I know, super-religious people would find thoughts like that sinful. You think something snarky like that in church? Boom - lightning bolt, sinner!

So, weird Metro evangelist, preach away. No ones perfect, and I could never please you either.

Btw: I had food poisoning last night and now I think I have a fever, which may explain the craziness of this post. I'm ailing. No, it can't be cured by cowbell. Too bad.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Libby said...

ah, i am reminded of the man who tried to save our sinning souls in the a-dam RLD. i wonder if he's still at it...

rachaelgking said...

I don't mind the preaching, I can tune that out (or get a kick out of it)... it's the getting-in-my-way while I'm trying to GET somewhere I have a problem with. And that goes for everybody, religious or not. There is a system, people! Just don't mess with the system, and no one gets hurts...