Monday, November 19, 2007

Stop! Wikitime!



* Wikitimesuck (n):
The [often shocking, to the experiencee] period of time during which an individual spends surfing Wikipedia, following a linked term from one entry to another until they realize that a surprising and generally shocking amount of time has passed.

* Wikontinuum (n): The unique spacial and logical spectrum a wikitimesuck follows. Affected by factors such as motivation, boredom, interest, and need.


I am a Wikipedia abuser. I know enough not to cite Wikipedia for papers, etc, but I love reading about random things. Last night was particularly bad. I spent nearly four hours reading about:

Etiquette in the United States and Canada --> Etiquette in Europe --> The United States Flag --> The T-V distinction --> Pluralis majestatis --> Leibniz --> Game theory --> (distracted) --> Lily Allen --> Morcheeba.


There has got to be some sort of help group for this, slightly intellectualized, time wasting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha...i love that you ended up with morcheba.

my mind wanders when i'm out on long runs. it's fun to realize i'm on a bizarre topic and try to figure out how i got there. very wiki like.

Sarah said...

Mine too!! But sometimes it flits around so much and I will think of a thought fleetingly and realize a minute too late that I want to pursue it and then I can't quite grasp it again in it's entirety. It's gone! I'm like "No, wait! Come back!"